An Ordinary Tuesday






Do you ever find yourself with a really good book idea, and then, once you hit the third page, you have sudden writer's block?

Well, that's how I feel at the moment. 

While I'm querying my book, Unbroken, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to take my mind off ease and start on a new project. See, I've had this new book idea in my head for a long time, even before Unbroken was complete, but now that I have time to write as much as I please, I can't think of a single scene that will get me past the first chapter. 

I truly believe this is from not connecting with my new characters. 

I really need to sit down with them, one by one, and figure out who they are. And by that, I mean I need to get out a pen and paper and scribble down every single aspect about them until I can hear their voices clearer than I can hear my own. 

I think the big issue for me is the connection I have with my past characters. For the last year, I've been working hard to complete their story in Unbroken, and now that it's over, I don't know how to let them go. I think writing a new book entitles moving on . . . which means that I'll have to break up with old characters, and I don't know if I'm ready to do that.  Does that ever happen to any of you?

Eh, I guess that's enough ranting about my attachment issues.
Back to the drawing board I go. 

Happy Writing days!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Book Process: Rejections From Publishing Houses

What does rejection feel like while on submission? It's completing a 5k in record time and then realizing that you've only ju...